Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Catching up to the 21st century, part 13...strawbale wall thickness woes

Floor area is defined as that area within the exterior walls, including wall thickness. This definition poses a problem for my straw-bale home design which is limited to 1,200 ft2 of floor area. Straw-bale walls are thick compared to stickframe construction. Assuming 24 inch thick straw-bale walls, my 1,200 ft2 floorplan would have 936 ft2 of usable floor area (the area within the interior surface of the exterior walls). In contrast, a 1,200 ft2 home with 6" stickframe walls would have 1,131 ft2 of usable floor area. I love straw-bale homes, but not enough to sacrifice 195 ft2 of usable living area.

In May, 2007, with the help of friends, a local architect/straw-bale building advocate and a local straw-bale builder, I wrote a letter to my county planning department and district supervisor requesting a special interpretation of floor area for straw-bale homes. I argued that only 6" of straw-bale wall thickness should be included in the floor area calculation. The county replied in June, 2007. They said that I raised an interesting topic for future green building standards, however, the current floor area definition was not subject to interpretation. I have therefore abandoned my straw-bale design.

No comments: